Step 7: Getting My Catheter Taken Out
When can I have my catheter taken out?
When the dialysis care team is sure your access is working well, they will send you to have your catheter taken out. This may be done:
- In the surgeon’s office
- At the access center
- In the x-ray department
Be sure to let your dialysis care team know that your catheter has been taken out.
Celebrate your success and make sure you know
how to take care of your lifeline for a lifetime!
- Back to Resources
- Step 1: Making and Access Plan
- Step 2: Finding the Best Plance for My Access
- Step 3: Going to See the Surgeon
- Step 4: Going for Surgery
- Step 5: Waiting for my Access to Mature/Heal
- Step 6: Using my Access
- Step 7: Removing My Catheter
- Step 8: The One-Minute Access Check
- Lifeline for a Lifetime (PDF Guide)
- Lifeline for a Lifetime (Spanish PDF Guide)