Prevent fistulae from being destroyed by inexperienced staff. Discuss the basics of needle cannulation with all staff.
- Facility uses best cannulators and best teaching tools (e.g., videos) to teach AVF cannulation to all appropriate dialysis staff.
- Dialysis staff use specific protocols for initial dialysis treatments with new AVFs and assign the most skilled staff to such patients.
- Facility offers option of self-cannulation to patients who are interested and able.
Changes for Improvement
- Use Experienced Staff and Teaching Tools to Train All Appropriate Dialysis Staff on AVF Cannulation
- Identify the experienced cannulators on your staff; make sure they are available to cannulate all new fistulae and to train inexperienced staff. Identify and make available to your staff appropriate teaching tools.
- Use Protocols for Initial Dialysis Treatments with New AVF Patients
- Dialysis staff should develop and use a specific protocol for initial dialysis treatments with new AV fistula patients and assign the most skilled staff to such patients.
- Teach Self-Cannulation to Patients Who Are Interested and Able
- Facilities should offer the option of self-cannulation to patients who are interested and able.