Skip to main content

ESRD-Related Grants


These grants are mostly given to help with emergency issues. They are also given to help with needs that could prevent a patient from getting treatment or transplant. The requirements are different for each group; most are available only for a limited issue, or once per year.  Social worker sign-off may be required. Check with the social worker on your treatment team before starting an application.

These ESRD-related funds may be used to help with many things, including assistance with:

  • Health insurance premiums;
  • Out-of-pocket expenses;
  • Disaster relief;
  • Prescription and over-the-counter drugs;
  • Financial needs for children suffering with kidney failure;
  • Transportation;
  • Basic daily living needs, such as rent, food, clothing, utilities; and more.                                                                                              

For example, AKF Safety Net grants provide help with transportation, over-the-counter drugs, co-payments, and other needs, like dentures. For living donors, ATF grants help with living expenses due to lost wages. Transplant recipients may also be eligible for one-time emergency assistance with insurance premiums, medication co-payments, and direct pharmacy costs.

Each funding group has its own application and submission process. Refer to each group's website for specific requirements.

Here’s one example of a grant application. Review it to get a general idea of what information might be needed before you begin.

Many applications ask for information about:

  • Monthly expenses.
  • Current assets.
  • Debts and loans. 

Before you get started, review the application. Find out what information or documents you’re going to need to submit. Being prepared makes the application process simpler.

Ever here the phrase, it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it?

How you word your grant request makes a difference. Check out Purdue University’s online writing lab (OWL). It provides resources ranging from general writing to preparing an application. We can all learn something new!