October 2, 2018
Long-Term Catheter Reduction | View Recording
Presenter: Robin L. Cockrell, BSN, RN
Biography: Ms. Cockrell is the unit manager at Tri-State Dialysis in Platteville, Wisconsin.
- Identify past barriers and issues with arteriovenous fistula creation and central venous catheter (CVC) removal.
- Discuss solutions Tri-State Dialysis put in place to lower CVC rate.
- Examine best practices found during this effort.
- Review Tri-State Dialysis’ success in decreasing CVC rate.
August 7, 2018
Infection Prevention: Teamwork is the Key | View Recording
Presenter: Kaylynne Duran, RN
Biography: Ms. Duran is the facility administrator at La Central Dialysis in Laredo, Texas.
- Discuss the importance of involving an interdisciplinary team, including patient representatives, in infection reduction.
- Use National Healthcare Safety Network / Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tools for effective hand hygiene to avoid infection.
- Share audit results from monitoring infection elimination efforts.
June 5, 2018
Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection | View Recording
Presenter: Sheila Segura, RN, BSN, CIC
Biography: Ms. Segura is the lead infection preventionist at the California Department of Public Health’s Center for Healthcare Quality in Richmond, California.
- Describe the relationship between the healthcare environment and infection prevention.
- Review the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations to reduce healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) in the dialysis setting.
- Identify practices to reduce the risk of environmentally-related HAIs.
April 3, 2018
Pathway to Hemodialysis Catheter Related Bloodstream Infection (CRBSI) Reduction | View Recording
Presenter: Sonia S. Shepherd, BSN, RN, CDN
Biography: Ms. Shepherd is the group facility administrator at North Jersey Lincoln Park Dialysis in Lincoln Park, and St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center DaVita Dialysis in Patterson and in Wayne, New Jersey.
- Define challenges of the acute kidney injury/failure, end stage renal disease, and nursing home or long-term ambulatory care patient population.
- Highlight recognized issues contributing to the increase of bloodstream infection rates and hospitalization.
- Identify how to improve collaboration with other healthcare providers.
January 29, 2018
Reducing Bloodstream Infections and Sepsis | View Recording
Presenter: Rochelle Whitmore, MSN, RN, CRRN
Biography: Ms. Whitmore is the renal dialysis program director at McLaren Northern Michigan in Petoskey, Michigan.
- Promote implementation of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-recommended core interventions for dialysis bloodstream infection (BSI) prevention.
- Share best practices in reducing healthcare-associated infections, BSIs, and sepsis.
- Discuss sepsis assessment tool development and implementation within one dialysis unit in the Midwest Kidney Network in the ESRD Network 11 service area.